If you know Greg and me at all, you know we are best friends first, husband-and-wife second; and we have an extreme love for dating each other. Along with this, we also have busy schedules, three kids, and no consistent or reliable babysitter.
I’m sure you can imagine how this creates a problem.
After moving to the rural area in which we currently live, we decided it would be best to resort to in-house date nights. I’ll admit, the first few times I was less than impressed because I felt like something was missing; but with time, we have perfected our date nights. With these 10 tips and ideas for the ultimate at-home date night, you will be able to continue dating your spouse, even when your life gets busy.
PLAN AND PREPARE
Unless you are planning to surprise your spouse, try to make it a point to talk about your upcoming date night. Figure out the feel you would like for the evening and find a way to accommodate that beforehand.
Ask your spouse and yourself a few questions:
- What is your expectation for the evening?
- Do you want to keep it casual or classy?
- Is there a certain activity you would like to do together?
- Make dinner or order delivery?
Once you decide on these things you can prep your home. Be sure to clean your home enough to help create a relaxing, inviting, and calming atmosphere before your big night.
SET THE MOOD FOR YOUR AT-HOME DATE NIGHT
Are you doing a wine tasting? Maybe a fancy home-cooked dinner? No matter what you choose, your ultimate at-home date night should include a few “extras” to make it special.
- Candles are an inexpensive and easy way to set the tone for the evening.
- Table linens and fine china make dinner feel a little more special.
- Flowers are an elegant way to dress up your table. (I recommend choosing between those or candles and not dressing the table with both. Simplicity is key.)
- Ditch the table altogether and go eclectic! Spread some pillows on the floor or around a low coffee table and enjoy your favorite Indian cuisine. This is one of our favorite things to do!
I know first-hand that there are few things more distracting than a sink full of dishes or an overflowing laundry basket next to your dining room table. The goal is to create a peaceful and relaxing space so do your best to eliminate additional clutter such as laundry, dishes, kids’ toys, or anything that will give you the urge to clean instead of completely enjoy yourself.
Also, mama, let’s be honest — children are a distraction when it comes to a date night. If you know you will be having an at-home date night, begin planning early in the day when it comes to your kids’ schedule.
A few ideas include:
- Have them run around outside more the day of your date night to tire them out.
- Bathe them earlier in the day.
- Have pajamas set out, their beds made, and their rooms clean prior to bedtime.
- Feed them a fast and easy dinner a bit earlier than usual.
The goal with this is to keep bedtime as simple as possible so you can focus on your date night.
CHANGE YOUR SHEETS
When moms ask me how I fit in time for self-care, my first answer is always to do small things that also make you feel not only good about yourself, but also more relaxed. For me that includes shaving my legs and slipping into freshly laundered sheets. It’s something so quick and easy, but also so relaxing and enjoyable that you can do to make your bedroom feel a little extra special.
And remember those candles we spoke of earlier, your bedroom is a perfect place for a few of those!
ENTERTAINMENT FOR YOUR IN-HOUSE DATE NIGHT
Ask yourself what you would like to do during your at-home date night. If wine tasting and enjoying a nice meal, maybe playing soft music could be your entertainment.
If you are anything like my husband and me, you may grab out the board games or deck of cards.
Ever done a paint and wine event? Watching Bob Ross on repeat with wine and a paintbrush in-hand would be a great opportunity to bring out your inner artist.
The possibilities are endless, so talk to your spouse and start throwing around ideas. I know you will come up with something great that you both will enjoy!
TRY SOMETHING NEW
What better opportunity to try a new recipe than for your at-home date night? Over the years, Greg and I have rolled sushi, make homemade pasta, and have perfected a charcuterie board.
In fact, our favorite at-home date night includes a few bottles of wine and a plethora of meats, cheeses, and fruits.
Our charcuterie must-haves include:
CREATE AN AT-HOME SPA EXPERIENCE
One of my personal favorite at-home date nights is a spa experience.
Beforehand, prepare your bedroom so after dinner, all you need to do is enjoy each other — and that wine you are drinking.
I like to light candles in our bedroom at the beginning of the evening so by the time dinner is over, the bedroom smells nice. Obviously make sure your kids and pets can’t reach them since you won’t be in the same room, just yet.
Make a massage oil with your favorite essential oils. If you make enough of it, you will have it for your next at-home date night, also.
This is my favorite massage oil recipe:
2oz. carrier oil (this one is my favorite)
10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
4 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
4 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
4 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
Combine your ingredients in a 2oz. glass bottle and enjoy!
CHOOSE A THEME FOR YOUR DATE NIGHT
Whether you are planning your date night around a cuisine, a sporting event, or an activity; theming the evening can be a fun and easy way to make it more special.
A few dinner ideas may include:
- If you are having steak for dinner, set the table like that of your favorite fancy steakhouse. These steaks are the best I’ve found as far as grass-fed, hormone and antibiotic-free, and humanely raised and finished. They are absolutely delicious!
- Taco night is the perfect time to make a pitcher of your favorite margarita and have it on the table as your centerpiece.
- Enjoying Indian cuisine? Do away with the table altogether and sit on the floor around the coffee table.
- If you are wanting to make pizza, my gluten-free pizza crust recipe is to die for!
A few activity ideas may include:
- Prepping two easels or the dining room table with canvas, paints, and brushes and having your own in-house sip and paint night.
- Subscribing to a themed box to play together. Our personal favorite is Hunt a Killer.
No matter what you do on your date night, a few small additions in decor can make your evening so much more special.
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX
What is something you have always wanted to do together but haven’t had the chance to because of the busyness of life? Now is your chance!
Maybe you have always wanted your husband to show you how to do woodworking. Have you considered gardening but have never gotten around to it? When is the last time you watched the first movie you ever saw together?
At-home date nights are an excellent way to try new things without having to leave the comfort of your home.
USE YOUR AT-HOME DATE NIGHT TO ENJOY EACH OTHER
Above everything else, be sure you are spending your at-home date night enjoying each other.
Turn off the television. Mute your cell phone. Remove all other distractions that could keep you from fully enjoying the moment. The goal with your at-home date night should be to connect with your spouse.
AN IN-HOUSE DATE NIGHT TO IMPRESS
No matter if you want to surprise your spouse with an at-home date night, or if you want to let him/her know what you are planning; by thinking outside the box and eliminating distractions, you are almost guaranteed to have a meaningful time.
Enjoy your spouse, mama!
This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated, but all opinions are my own. This compensation helps with expenses to keep this blog up and running! Thank you for your support!